Thursday, August 29, 2013

MIssio Dei

Preparing for Local Ministries: Required. Meet weekly with a group of fellow students to share our experiences within our ministry settings. Easy and fun.
Christian Traditions (or the History of the church): Required. To be an effective pastor, you should have a working knowledge of the History of the church.
Biblical Hebrew: Elective. I like to challenge myself with languages, and writing right to left!
Missions of the Church in the Contemporary World:  A Church and Society required course. This course is a practical course for church management.

These are my seminary classes this fall and the course I am most excited about is the Mission of the Church in the Contemporary World (Hebrew is a close second) and it is incredibly fitting now that I have stepped into the role of Director of Missions at a church that values service and living for others. Yesterday I began reading the first required book for this class, and the first question the author asked was, is the service the church is engaging in the mission of that particular local church or is the service being engaged in, truly adhering to God's mission? Wow! Sometimes, I think that when we go into service and living for others, we forget that when we volunteer to do church work, we are ultimately working as vessels by which God's mission for his world is achieved.

When I first started this position, I thought to myself, what is it we are doing as a church that embodies living for others? We definitely have people that are going out regularly to be in service, but are we going out because as followers of Christ we strive to affect transformation in the lives or others? Or are we going out because it makes us feel better about ourselves, or because it keeps us busy and out of trouble?

From what I have seen from those who are actively going into the mission field every day (and yes, the mission field can be found in our own community), I see the passion for Christ as the driving force. I see our congregation actively engaged in bringing God's kingdom and his will to earth. And this excites me!

This past month I have been working with a group of individuals for our upcoming Every1Serve which is scheduled for Saturday, October 5th. The challenge I gave everyone was to make sure they know why exactly they are engaging in service that day and to be able to tell all those who step up to volunteer for various projects what exactly they are doing, and most importantly why. I believe that you can ask anybody to work and most people can and will work. However, I believe even more ardently that when you tell someone why they are working, you can really inspire them to live for others when they see how their work is bringing about God's mission.

That is why each project and organization for Every1Serve has a definite mission that strives to transform lives. We are all called into ministry, to love and care for our sisters and brothers no matter where they are in their journey with God. I wanted us to really focus on transformation. I want us to not focus so much on carrying out the mission of our local church but to carry out the mission of our most loving God. We are called to love one another and being in service to our neighbors, even our enemies, affects change in the heart of God's children, including those of us who choose to serve.

I look forward to this upcoming Every1Serve. We have worked hard to secure a variety of projects for all ages and skill levels. I keep saying to everyone, this is called EveryONEServe, not JustafewServe. I hope that everyone who is available on October 5th, will step into service for a few hours that day and prepare to be amazed at how God can work through you to bring his healing grace and power to those in need.




No comments:

Post a Comment